Health Benefits of Cannabidiol Oil: Introduction
The interest in cannabis products, such as cannabidiol, as a means of treating and preventing disease, is constantly increasing. More and more people are becoming aware of the diverse health benefits of cannabidiol oil (CBD oil).
The plant that we know as cannabis (cannabis sativa) comes in many different varieties. These plants contain a range of compounds called cannabinoids. Over the years, growers have cultivated different varieties of cannabis to produce specific results.
Some have higher concentrations of the cannabinoid, tetrahydrocannabinol (THC), but low CBD levels, while others are rich in the CBD cannabinoid, cannabidiol, but have only minute amounts of THC.
THC is best known for its psychoactive properties that give the “high”. However, it’s the non-psychoactive CBD component of cannabis that you’ll be reading about here.
In this video, doctors speak out about the health benefits of cannabidiol oil:
Cannabis vs. Hemp
When a cannabis sativa plant contains only trace amounts of THC, it is called hemp. Although the hemp plant has many uses in industry, it is the health-giving properties of its oil, notably cannabidiol, that can be truly life-changing.
Hemp oil is not quite the same as cannabis oil. Although research is ongoing, the multiple health benefits of cannabidiol oil are impossible to ignore.
People suffering from chronic pain experienced significant pain relief when taking CBD. The cannabidiol provided potent anti-inflammatory activity in their bodies, without significant side-effects. It does not produce the psychoactive effect of THC – it does not make you “high”.
The use of these CBD products is legal in all 50 US states.
Uses of Cannabidiol (CBD) Oil
According to a published study, CBD acts as a powerful antioxidant, anti-convulsant, anti-inflammatory, anti-psychotic, anti-emetic and anxiolytic (anxiety-relieving) agent. This is promising news for people suffering from the ravages of epilepsy, neuro-inflammation, oxidative stress, schizophrenia, anxiety, nausea and vomiting.
Proven Benefits of CBD Oil
1. Relief from Inflammation Pain. For many people, getting relief from months – or even years – of debilitating pain would be top of the list. There is evidence that CBD may help to suppress the pain of inflammation or nerve damage – without developing analgesic tolerance.
This would be good news for chronic pain sufferers!
2. Relief from Anxiety. People with social anxiety disorder were able to reduce levels of anxiety when they were treated with cannabidiol. This showed researchers that it may also be effective for post-traumatic stress disorder, panic disorder and obsessive-compulsive disorder.
People who are nervous about delivering a speech or presentation might want to consider pre-treatment with CBD in order to reduce anxiety.
Epilepsy and Other Nervous Disorders
3. Treating Seizures and other Nervous Disorders. In a study involving children with epilepsy, 84% experienced a reduction in the frequency of their seizures while taking CBD. Eleven percent reported complete freedom from seizures. They also enjoyed improved sleep, better mood and increased alertness.
4. Relief from Nausea. People have been using cannabis for centuries to get rid of nausea and vomiting. Both the THC and CBD cannabis types can provide relief. When you take CBD in low doses it can help suppress toxin-induced vomiting.
5. Reducing the incidence of Diabetes. Results of a 2013 study which involved current and past users of cannabis were published. The current users had 16% lower fasting insulin levels. This is welcome news for people currently trying to eliminate diabetes.
7. Relief from Cancer. A 2006 study shows us that CBD can selectively target cancer cells, without harming healthy cells. CBD actually induces cancer-cell death!
Studies done over a 6-week period show that CBD does not produce any noticeable toxicity in humans. This suggests that it can be used for extended cancer treatment if required.
The health benefits of cannabidiol oil extend still further: CBD has also shown positive results in treating gliomas and leukemia, according to the British Journal of Clinical Pharmacology.
Can CBD Oil Help You Lose Weight?
The health benefits of cannabidiol oil can sometimes come as a surprise! Apart from CBD’s ability to relieve pain and fight disease, users have experienced significant fat loss when taking CBD supplements.
You can bring about profound changes in your life by taking a single step in a different direction. When people take CBD, their reasons are typically unrelated to weight loss. Yet, without making any other adjustments to their lifestyle or diet, they find themselves dropping unwanted pounds.
How Does CBD Oil Help You Lose Weight?
Here’s a simple explanation:
Our bodies have a major regulatory system called the endocannabinoid system (ECS for short). This system is affected by cannabidiol. Whenever you’re enjoying a meal or snack, your ECS sends signals to your hypothalamus (the portion of your brain that helps to control appetite). This message informs your limbic system (your brain’s emotion-control center) that you have now satisfied your desire for food.
This means – you feel “full” more quickly.
So, people who are taking cannabidiol for pain, insomnia, mental health problems or even PTSD find that CBD is helping them to lose weight!
Another reason why CBD helps with weight loss
A study published in the Scientific Journal of Molecular and Cellular Biochemistry was done on the effects of CBD on different types of fat cells. To everyone’s surprise, they found that CBD was able to:
- Stimulate proteins and genes that accelerate the breakdown of fat.
- Increase the activity and number of mitochondria (which speeds up your metabolism and increase the number of calories you burn each day).
- Decrease the number of proteins that create new fat cells.
How CBD helps you lose weight
Your body stores energy in what is called white-colored fat tissue (called WAT – white adipose tissue). This WAT is converted by the body into beige-colored fat tissue (BAT – brown or beige adipose tissue), which burns the stored energy.
Studies show that boosting beige-colored fat improves glucose tolerance. This can provide greater resistance to diabetes and various blood lipid issues. In simple language, CBD brings about the formation of “brown fat”, which results in weight loss.
Just when we think we’ve heard all the good news about CBD, it turns out that cannabidiol oil can even help you burn fat and lose excess weight!
British Journal of Clinical Pharmacology
Journal of Experimental Medicine
American Journal of Medicine
Journal of Pharmacology and Experimental Therapeutics
Scientific Journal of Molecular and Cellular Biochemistry